Step 1. General Requirements (Do I qualify?)
- The Mount Pleasant Police Department is only accepting applications for Police Officer from individuals who are currently certified by TCOLE. If you are not currently certified, read below for more information on attending a police academy.
- You must be a citizen of the United States, 21 years of age or older
- Possess at least one of the following:
- High school diploma
- GED equivalent with 30 credit hours from an accredited college or university
- Proof of an accredited college or university degree if graduated (College Graduates preferred)
- Possess 20/20 vision, either corrected or uncorrected in each eye. Uncorrected vision cannot exceed 20/100 in each eye, unless vision is corrected by the use of contact lenses which must be worn on duty and/or during all enforcement related activities. Must be free of dichromatic color blindness, night blindness, and any other visual deficiencies or limitations
- Possess hearing with less than a 30 decibel loss, either corrected or uncorrected in each ear. Uncorrected hearing cannot exceed a 60 decibel loss in each ear
- No felony or class A misdemeanor convictions; including deferred adjudications
- No misdemeanor convictions, including deferred adjudications, above the grade of class C within the last 10 years
- No DWI convictions within the last 10 years
- Not on court-ordered community supervision or probation for any criminal offense above the grade of class C misdemeanor
- Be of good character and have a stable school/work/driving record
- No family members employed at the police department or releated to a member of the City Council
- No pending litigation-criminal or civil (including divorce)
- Possess a valid Texas Peace Officer Commission and be in good standing with the State Licensing Commission (TCLEOSE) For more information on how to obtain a Texas Peace Officer License please visit this link.
Effective January 1, 2013 newly hired officers who have tattoos must have them inspected by the Chief of Police to evaluate appropriateness. Tattoos not approved must be concealed by use of the authorized uniform or city-authorized clothing.
Step 2. Application
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. Go to the City's Employment Portal and follow the instructions to fill out an online application.
- Those who meet the basic qualifications will be contacted to proceed to fitness testing
- Those who do not meet the basic qualifications will be mailed a disqualification letter
Step 3. Fitness Testing
Among the conditions to be evaluated as a prerequisite to preliminary consideration are:
- 2,000 foot meter row on Concept 2 rower
Those who pass the fitness testing will move to Step 4.
Step 4. Personal History Statement and Required Documents
All documents requested during this phase must be submitted to the police department. Photocopies are acceptable in most cases unless specified otherwise below.
- Copy of your valid Texas driver license or a copy of another State’s driver license. Applicant must possess a valid Texas driver license prior to being offered employment
- Copy of your Social Security card
- Copy of current proof of automobile liability insurance
- Original certified copy of your birth certificate (No photo copy)
- Copy of your High School diploma or GED certificate
- Sealed original certified copy of your college transcript (No photo copy. If applicable)
- Photocopy of your college diploma (If applicable)
- Copy of your Peace Officer Certificate from your police academy
- Copy of your Texas peace officer license and all training certificates awarded to you
- Copy of your DD-214 Member-4 if applicable. Must possess an honorable discharge
- Original certified copy of your Naturalization papers, if applicable. (No photo copy)
After returning the personal history statement and all required documents a background investigation will occur. Those who pass the background investigation will move to Step 5.
All applicants are encouraged to gather as much background information on themselves early so not to delay returning the above information to the background investigator. If an applicant has difficulty in obtaining any required documentation the applicant should contact a background investigator to discuss.
Step 5. Medical/Psychological/Polygraph Testing
Among the conditions to be evaluated as a prerequisite to a final job offer are:
- Possess satisfactory psychological and emotional health
- Not possess a condition which posses a direct threat to the safety of the applicant or others
- Medical Examination
- Drug Testing
- Polygraph Examination